Thursday, April 20, 2023

Clifford Alton Matheny and Rachel Alzora (Allie) Olmstead

 Below is a photo of my Dad's mother as a young woman.




Clifford Alton Matheny was born in 1872 in Meeker County, Minnesota.  Rachel Alzora Olmstead was born in 1870 in Indiana.  They were married in 1897 in Meeker County, Minnesota.


Early in their marriage they moved to northern Minnesota, having heard there was money to be made in the logging industry.  They homesteaded a farm about 10 mies from Blackduck, on the Scenic Highway.


I have very few photos of my grandfather, Clifford.  He died in 1936.

My Dad gave me the following account of his Dad's death.

"The day Dad died, he had been having some small pains in his chest, but didn't pay much attention to them.  When a cow that was ready to calve didn't come in at milking time, he set off across the field to look for her.  When he didn't come back, Bruce and I went to look for him.  We found him in the field, laying down like he was taking a nap.  I stayed with him while Bruce went back to the house to tell Mother and get a horse and wagon to carry him back to the house."

Clifford's funeral was held at his home.  The minister who preached the funeral was Andrew Jackson Paul, who would later become Dad's father-in-law.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Matheny, Ralph 5

 I think Dad was closer to his sister Clarice than he was with any of his other siblings.  This is how I mostly remember them.   Side note: ...